Come join us this summer in Ocean Grove. If you’re a first-time visitor, this is your opportunity to learn about the unique history of the area which was settled as a camp meeting in 1869. If you’re familiar with our history, check back to our website in the winter to view the variety of activities we’ll be offering to enhance your knowledge and enjoyment of Ocean Grove.
We’ll be presenting our 50th Annual House Tour on Friday, August 3. Once again, you will have the privilege of touring some of the outstanding homes here in Ocean Grove. The house tour begins at 10:30 AM and runs until 4:30 PM. Be a part of our celebratory 50th anniversary!
2016 has been a great year for the Historical Society of Ocean Grove. Watch this video below to learn about all the wonderful activities that have taken place so far.
The HSOG would like to thank Holly Horn of the Ocean Grove Violin Academy for introducing us to violinist Mary Badger. Mary performed on the porch of Centennial Cottage for the high bidders of our Candlelight Dinner at Centennial Cottage auction package. A short video clip of her performance is below. We’d also like to thank Sea Grass Restaurant for going above and beyond in providing the cuisine. We appreciate your support!
Outstanding renovations and restorations, ocean views, and fantastic kitchens are featured on the 48th Annual House Tour. The all-day self-guided tour includes seven historic homes as well as two tent homes, an inn, and other historic buildings.
Friday, July 15, 2016
10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Rain or Shine
Tickets $30 Advance | $35 Day Of
Online ticket sales will end Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.
An additional $1.50 will be charged for processing payments through PayPal.
Children under 12 are not admitted.
All homes have stairs and are not generally accessible for those with mobility impairment.
Tickets on sale June 1st at these locations:
Gingerbreads Tea & Treasures | Main Avenue, Ocean Grove
Ocean Grove Trading | Main Avenue, Ocean Grove
The HUB | Pilgrim Pathway, Ocean Grove
The Comfort Zone | Main Avenue, Ocean Grove
Historical Society of Ocean Grove Museum | Pitman Avenue, Ocean Grove
Questions? Call the Historical Society: (732) 774-1869
Announcing a brand-new episode of Curiosities of Ocean Grove: “Orphans of Ocean Grove 1878-1902”.
Find out about Ocean Grove’s long history of taking an interest in orphans, including tales of the 19th century orphans who came to Ocean Grove by trainload in the summer, and the link between Ocean Grove orphans and the scandalous evangelist Henry Wharton.
Watch episode 9 below. Hope you enjoy!
Camera and editing by Mary Solecki
Research and writing by host Kim Brittingham
Our Women’s History Walking Tour of Ocean Grove is back by popular demand! Led by history professor Dr. Lyndell O’Hara, this tour takes participants to various stops in Ocean Grove where women made history. Costumed performers portray history’s characters, such as physician Margaret Coleman, evangelist Phoebe Palmer, and innkeeper sisters Lydia and Matilda Bull. Tour is on foot and lasts approximately 90 minutes.
This year you have three opportunities to join the tour:
Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Tickets $12, $10 for seniors
Tour meets at the Historical Society of Ocean Grove, 50 Pitman Avenue
To reserve, call 732-774-1869
Just for fun, we made a movie-style trailer for the tour (see below). Looking forward to seeing you in Ocean Grove this summer!
The Spring Auction is Back — But With Some Exciting Changes!
WHO: The Historical Society of Ocean Grove
WHAT: Auction of antiques, collectibles, rare Ocean Grove memorabilia and unique Ocean Grove experiences!
WHEN: May 28, 2016
Previews 9:00 – 11:00 AM
Auction begins promptly at 11:00 AM
“Experience” packages will be auctioned at 12:00 PM SHARP!
WHERE: Youth Temple, Pilgrim Pathway & McClintock Street, Ocean Grove
HOW: Free to attend, free street parking. Cash and credit cards accepted. 15% buyer’s premium.
ABSENTEE BIDS are now being accepted by phone at (732) 774-1869, and will be available on auction day beginning at 9:00 AM.
See listing of experience packages below. A list of auction items will be available for purchase at the HSOG Museum beginning Tuesday, May 24th. Cost: $3.
OUR AUCTIONEER. Help us welcome our new auctioneer, Art Kravetz from Kravetz Auctions of Toms River, NJ. Art is a professional auctioneer who’s known for “moving things along”, so you can expect a quick, exciting event this year.
“EXPERIENCE” AUCTIONS. This year, in addition to antiques, we’re excited to auction off experience packages that will give a few lucky bidders an opportunity to experience Ocean Grove in ways nobody has before. At 12:00 PM, our regular auction will pause and experience packages will be auctioned. Here they are:
- Item EX-1: VIP POST-FIREWORKS DAY’S ICE CREAM EXPERIENCE. Everybody knows the line at Day’s Ice Cream after the July 4th fireworks wraps around the block. Just once in your life, wouldn’t you like to take your time ambling back from the fireworks, cut right to the front of the Day’s line, and enjoy a reserved table on the dining porch? On July 4, 2016, four lucky people will experience just that. Come and bid!
- Item EX-2: DINNER AT THE TALI ESEN MORGAN HOUSE. The Tali Esen Morgan House is a private residence, and one of Ocean Grove’s most splendid Victorian houses. One lucky bidder and three guests will get the rare privilege of dining in the Tali Esen Morgan House and taking a private tour with the homeowner. This doesn’t happen every day!
- Item EX-3: VIP JULY 4TH PARADE SHADY PORCH VIEWING PACKAGE. Five folks will enjoy a fantastic view of the Ocean Grove July 4th parade from the shady, raised porch of the historic Centennial Cottage. Porch rockers, hand fans, refreshments by DJ’s of Asbury Park, a take-home flower arrangement courtesy of Wegman’s, and other civilized delights await the lucky bidder and friends.
- Item EX-4: ROMANTIC CANDLELIGHT DINNER FOR TWO IN THE GARDEN OF CENTENNIAL COTTAGE. Two people will enjoy dinner catered by Sea Grass Restaurant in the picturesque garden of historic Centennial Cottage, as well as a private lantern-lit twilight tour of the cottage.
- Item EX-5: MAKE-YOUR-OWN SUNDAE PARTY FOR FOUR AT NAGLE’S. One lucky party of four will enjoy going behind the counter at Nagle’s and making their own ice cream sundaes. Here’s your chance to take total control of that hot fudge dispenser!
- Item EX-6: A DAY OF PET SITTING AT OCEAN GROVE PET BOUTIQUE. Come spend a carefree Saturday in Ocean Grove this summer and know your pup is being looked after with love at the Ocean Grove Pet Boutique on Main Avenue. Summer Saturdays only, 10-4.
- Item EX-7: THE “MEET THE FIREMEN” PACKAGE. Up to three people will get a private tour of the Stokes firehouse in Ocean Grove, the opportunity to meet and take photos with the firemen, and a chance to sit on a real fire engine! If you think you can handle this much excitement, be brave like a fireman and bid!
ONE-OF-A-KIND OCEAN GROVE BEACH TOWEL
Due to unforeseen problems with our supplier, out offering of a one-of-a-kind beach towel has been cancelled.
OCEAN GROVE MEMORABILIA
If you’re specifically interested in rare Ocean Grove memorabilia, here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll see at this year’s spring auction:
- Mirror advertising the Homestead Restaurant, formerly on the Ocean Grove boardwalk. Mirror was originally used in one of the changing rooms at the former North End bath house.
- Salvaged gingerbread from one of Ocean Grove’s unique tent houses.
- “Admission 50 cents” sign from the old Strand Movie Theater, formerly on the Ocean Grove boardwalk.
- Numerous flash glass souvenirs from Ocean Grove with personalized etchings and dates, 1890s – early 1900s.
- Much more!
Below are photos of some of the items to be auctioned.
WE APPRECIATE your support of the Historical Society of Ocean Grove and its programs. We hope to continue bringing you fascinating tours, videos, lectures and other events for many years to come. We exist because you continue to care about Ocean Grove history. Thank you!