Come join us this summer in Ocean Grove. If you’re a first-time visitor, this is your opportunity to learn about the unique history of the area which was settled as a camp meeting in 1869. If you’re familiar with our history, check back to our website in the winter to view the variety of activities we’ll be offering to enhance your knowledge and enjoyment of Ocean Grove.
We’ll be presenting our 50th Annual House Tour on Friday, August 3. Once again, you will have the privilege of touring some of the outstanding homes here in Ocean Grove. The house tour begins at 10:30 AM and runs until 4:30 PM. Be a part of our celebratory 50th anniversary!
2016 has been a great year for the Historical Society of Ocean Grove. Watch this video below to learn about all the wonderful activities that have taken place so far.
Announcing a brand-new episode of Curiosities of Ocean Grove: “Orphans of Ocean Grove 1878-1902”.
Find out about Ocean Grove’s long history of taking an interest in orphans, including tales of the 19th century orphans who came to Ocean Grove by trainload in the summer, and the link between Ocean Grove orphans and the scandalous evangelist Henry Wharton.
Watch episode 9 below. Hope you enjoy!
Camera and editing by Mary Solecki
Research and writing by host Kim Brittingham
The Spring Auction is Back — But With Some Exciting Changes!
WHO: The Historical Society of Ocean Grove
WHAT: Auction of antiques, collectibles, rare Ocean Grove memorabilia and unique Ocean Grove experiences!
WHEN: May 28, 2016
Previews 9:00 – 11:00 AM
Auction begins promptly at 11:00 AM
“Experience” packages will be auctioned at 12:00 PM SHARP!
WHERE: Youth Temple, Pilgrim Pathway & McClintock Street, Ocean Grove
HOW: Free to attend, free street parking. Cash and credit cards accepted. 15% buyer’s premium.
ABSENTEE BIDS are now being accepted by phone at (732) 774-1869, and will be available on auction day beginning at 9:00 AM.
See listing of experience packages below. A list of auction items will be available for purchase at the HSOG Museum beginning Tuesday, May 24th. Cost: $3.
OUR AUCTIONEER. Help us welcome our new auctioneer, Art Kravetz from Kravetz Auctions of Toms River, NJ. Art is a professional auctioneer who’s known for “moving things along”, so you can expect a quick, exciting event this year.
“EXPERIENCE” AUCTIONS. This year, in addition to antiques, we’re excited to auction off experience packages that will give a few lucky bidders an opportunity to experience Ocean Grove in ways nobody has before. At 12:00 PM, our regular auction will pause and experience packages will be auctioned. Here they are:
- Item EX-1: VIP POST-FIREWORKS DAY’S ICE CREAM EXPERIENCE. Everybody knows the line at Day’s Ice Cream after the July 4th fireworks wraps around the block. Just once in your life, wouldn’t you like to take your time ambling back from the fireworks, cut right to the front of the Day’s line, and enjoy a reserved table on the dining porch? On July 4, 2016, four lucky people will experience just that. Come and bid!
- Item EX-2: DINNER AT THE TALI ESEN MORGAN HOUSE. The Tali Esen Morgan House is a private residence, and one of Ocean Grove’s most splendid Victorian houses. One lucky bidder and three guests will get the rare privilege of dining in the Tali Esen Morgan House and taking a private tour with the homeowner. This doesn’t happen every day!
- Item EX-3: VIP JULY 4TH PARADE SHADY PORCH VIEWING PACKAGE. Five folks will enjoy a fantastic view of the Ocean Grove July 4th parade from the shady, raised porch of the historic Centennial Cottage. Porch rockers, hand fans, refreshments by DJ’s of Asbury Park, a take-home flower arrangement courtesy of Wegman’s, and other civilized delights await the lucky bidder and friends.
- Item EX-4: ROMANTIC CANDLELIGHT DINNER FOR TWO IN THE GARDEN OF CENTENNIAL COTTAGE. Two people will enjoy dinner catered by Sea Grass Restaurant in the picturesque garden of historic Centennial Cottage, as well as a private lantern-lit twilight tour of the cottage.
- Item EX-5: MAKE-YOUR-OWN SUNDAE PARTY FOR FOUR AT NAGLE’S. One lucky party of four will enjoy going behind the counter at Nagle’s and making their own ice cream sundaes. Here’s your chance to take total control of that hot fudge dispenser!
- Item EX-6: A DAY OF PET SITTING AT OCEAN GROVE PET BOUTIQUE. Come spend a carefree Saturday in Ocean Grove this summer and know your pup is being looked after with love at the Ocean Grove Pet Boutique on Main Avenue. Summer Saturdays only, 10-4.
- Item EX-7: THE “MEET THE FIREMEN” PACKAGE. Up to three people will get a private tour of the Stokes firehouse in Ocean Grove, the opportunity to meet and take photos with the firemen, and a chance to sit on a real fire engine! If you think you can handle this much excitement, be brave like a fireman and bid!
ONE-OF-A-KIND OCEAN GROVE BEACH TOWEL
Due to unforeseen problems with our supplier, out offering of a one-of-a-kind beach towel has been cancelled.
OCEAN GROVE MEMORABILIA
If you’re specifically interested in rare Ocean Grove memorabilia, here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll see at this year’s spring auction:
- Mirror advertising the Homestead Restaurant, formerly on the Ocean Grove boardwalk. Mirror was originally used in one of the changing rooms at the former North End bath house.
- Salvaged gingerbread from one of Ocean Grove’s unique tent houses.
- “Admission 50 cents” sign from the old Strand Movie Theater, formerly on the Ocean Grove boardwalk.
- Numerous flash glass souvenirs from Ocean Grove with personalized etchings and dates, 1890s – early 1900s.
- Much more!
Below are photos of some of the items to be auctioned.
WE APPRECIATE your support of the Historical Society of Ocean Grove and its programs. We hope to continue bringing you fascinating tours, videos, lectures and other events for many years to come. We exist because you continue to care about Ocean Grove history. Thank you!