Centennial Cottage serves as the Historical Society of Ocean Grove’s living history museum. Visitors to the Cottage gain an understanding of life in a 19th Century Camp Meeting and seaside resort community. Centennial Cottage was erected in 1884 at 47 Cookman Avenue by Elizabeth Fell. The last owners of the Cottage, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Skold, donated the Cottage to the Camp Meeting Association in honor of the 100th anniversary of the founding of Ocean Grove in 1969. The Cottage was moved to its present location on the corner of McClintock Street and Central Avenue.
The Cottage is constructed in the Swiss Chalet style which was popular in the latter half of the nineteenth century.
It has a front parlor, a dining room and a small kitchen on the first floor. Three bedrooms, two of which open onto the upper porch, are located on the second floor. A smaller room on the second floor is of undetermined use and may have housed a tin bathtub.
The Cottage is also the site of various exhibits and events throughout the season.
HOURS: Open July & August | Mon. – Sat. 11-3 CLOSED: Winter
We regret that Centennial Cottage is currently inaccessible to wheelchair visitors.